21 March 2012

One Room, Three Ways

The Home Beautification Act is in full swing. (I feel like I say that all the time?) But, really, I think we are in a constant state of home beautification. I wish I could live inside someone else's mind for the day because all I see is rooms and furniture, fabrics, and lamps like a slide show. Is this crazy talk? It's late. Pfff. My poor hubs. Anyway. We spend ALL of our time in this room we call the den. It is right next to the kitchen and it has really good light and two ceiling fans (ugly but crucial) and we just gravitate to this area. Here is how it has to work for us: breakfast table/casual dining space, living room, office. We have tried to think of ways to give this room a break and make it work less hard, but we just like being in here, so deal with it. The only permanents are the wall color (Benjamin Moore's Spring Mint) and our Saarinen knockoff table from IKEA. Other than that, everything will be garage saled or trashed. This should make things simple, but, it's me, so... clearly, it's very complicated. Here is what we require: a desk with seating, dining table seating, an armchair, a rug, a side table or two, pillows and accessories.
And without anymore talky, here are my three possible schemes. Please leave a comment if I forget to source something.


This was my initial scheme and I think it shows a certain amount of restraint and consideration for the male inhabitant(s) of the household.  The floral fabric is for the sofa, which is from Layla Grayce.  The garden stools are from Wisteria, table from IKEA, Chiviari chairs from eBay, rug is DwellStudio, acrylic desk is from cb2.com, pouf can be found at various locations, chair is also from Layla Grayce and the pillows are from Horchow, Wisteria and Oomph Online.  This room is certainly lovely and I really liked it at the beginning... then.  I started thinking.  I could live in this room everyday and be happy, but it wouldn't excite and exhilarate me.  I'm tired of restrained decorating!!  So I returned to the drawing board...

For this scheme, I studied one of my all time favorite designers: Anna Spiro.  I love how she combines preppy prints and forms with glam antiques and beachy accents to create a look that is just so happy!  Her work never fails to inspire me and I let it inspire this room.  I am very pleased with the results, unfortuntely, the budget went a little wild for this one.  The painting shown above the sofa is by yours truly, the sofa is the same as above from LaylaGrayce, and the pillows are from Oomph Online of Quadrille fabric.  The gingham swatch is for the sofa and came from WarehouseFabricsInc.com, but it's not upholstery weight so unlikely the fabric I would actually use.  The rattan side table is from CottageandBungalow.com, along with the green dining chairs.  The Otomi swatch is from the Mexican Textiles store on eBay.  The pink striped rug is Dash & Albert and is from LaylaGrayce along with the armchair.  The console table is from Oomph Online.  The pink lamp is by Robert Abbey and can be found at several sources by googling it.  (I just ordered two of them for the bedroom and I'm SO excited to receive them!!!)  I love this room and it would make me happy to look at, but, of course, my musings didn't/couldn't stop there.  I craved more expression and decorating freedom.  I wanted loud and proud with an edge...



The third and final option involves using an antique sofa that I recently purchased and had recovered in Brentwood Nepal fabric.  I am nuts about this sofa and it is currently sitting in our entry.  I would love to use it more, but don't want it to take a beating.  She's old and just too beautiful to be sat on everyday all the time.  I don't generally believe in buying furniture you can't use, so I reluctantly decided to work this piece into a scheme.  And I have to be honest.  It might be my favorite of all.  eek.  The yellow side table is from CottageandBungalow.com, isn't it precious?  The pillows, urn, lamps, rug and armchair are all from Furbish (ShopFurbish.com) whose owner Jamie Meares is a huge inspiration for me.  The Parsons desk is from westelm, the acrylic chair is by Kartell and the floor lamp is IKEA.

And now the decision making process... Which one do you like??

3 comments:

  1. Anything with a black and spiro vibe is a clear winner for me! The beauty of her signature style is that it will happily grow and change with you.. Gotta love the more is more aesthetic! Great blog, btw! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am liking the last one too, I would love to see the sofa in person some day:) I can't wait to see the final result!

    Gretchen O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the middle one, anna spiro inspired!

    ReplyDelete