27 February 2011

Mailboxes, etc.

Mailboxes are like bellybuttons, everybody's got one.  And lately, I've had mailboxes on the brain.  I don't know why I'm so fascinated with mailboxes as most of them are pretty ordinary and boringly utilitarian.  Rarely will you find a mailbox that stands out and makes you think, "What a neat mailbox.  I'd really like to find a mailbox like that."  My father lives in a neighborhood where all the mailboxes are exactly the same.  He says that's why he likes it there.  My mom has no mailbox, but a door slot instead where the mailman drops catalogues and bills.  I have a mailbox that looks much like many of the others in my neighborhood. I once knew an artist who had met Mel Gibson and decided to paint Mel Gibson's various characters on a mailbox and send it to Gibson himself. 
There's really nothing mystical about mailboxes, but these artists make my latest fascination seem wondrous and whimsical.

Teal Mailbox by Etsy seller BucksCountyFrames


Empty Box by Etsy seller elephantdreams


Love Letters by Etsy seller skippydesigns



Holly's Mailbox by Etsy seller emmakisstina


No comments:

Post a Comment